Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day

Patty was inspired to have a 4th of July party here in Germany, partly because this is the first time I've been around on July 4th. Last week she told me on the phone, "We'll have the usual American stuff--hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, potato salad. And in your honor, let's have a Commie Corner!"

So, in Kyiv, I bought caviar, chocolates, and this wonderful Ukrainian vodka, called (roughly, with transposition) "Horlytsya." I brought the vodka in my carry-on and managed to get it out of Ukraine. However, I arrived in Prague for my connecting flight and remembered those pesky EU regulations that prevent you from carrying liquids on board.

Those security agents get enough free booze. I went to the duty-free shop, gave my Ukrainian vodka to a startled and grateful clerk, and bought Russian vodka, properly packaged and vetted to carry on board.

Today my nephews and I made red, white, and blue rice krispie treats which unfortunately look like the French flag. Mac painted a Ukrainian and a Soviet flag for the Commie Corner, and Manfred contributed a big chunk of the Berlin Wall that he acquired in 1990. I hope no one's offended.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just loved your photographs. They remind me of my visits to Kyiv and other parts of Ukraine. I made many good life long friends during my visits between 1994 and 2005. Thanks for bringing those memories to the fore.

John Marlar