Saturday, June 23, 2007

Last days of school

It's the end of the year and everyone wants a break, both kids and teachers. I've been showing my grade 6/7 group the movie "Babe". They watched it for two class periods, so saw only about half of the movie. I really wanted them to watch the scene where taciturn Farmer Hoggett sings to Babe and clog-dances.

The class ended at 1:30 so I kept looking over at the clock---that scene's coming up! in how many minutes?

Farmer Hoggett sang and danced at 1:26 and the kids shrieked with laughter. I turned off the DVD and announced "Today is our last class together. I want to tell you that you have been my FAVORITE class!" The kids all yelled and applauded. "You have worked SO hard and learned SO much and it's been wonderful teaching you!" I wasn't teary-eyed then, but I am now as I write this.

All the girls came up and hugged me, saying "I will miss you, Ms. Panneton!" and the boys looked embarrassed so I stuck out my hand for them to shake. It was just terrific.

Then today I was thrilled that 8 (out of 19) of my ESL kids in secondary received "honours" (because this is a Brit school) at the awards assembly. Their grades were overall the equivalent of B+ US. Two of them got "high honours" or A in US grades. Of course I can't take all of the credit but I'll take a little. I teared up some more whenever I talked about it at the teacher picnic today.

It was a great way to end this year of teaching dangerously, as I've sometimes thought of it. I'll be back in the US at the end of July but will have more stories between then and now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Beth!
Sounds like you've had an absolutely amazing time :) As always, if you'd like to regale us with your tales at Eagle's Mere we'd be so pleased! We're going July 21-27 this year. Hope to see you soon!

Cheryl said...

I've loved reading your blog and having that glimpse into your year of adventure. What will you do for the next month?