Monday, June 25, 2007

Housing and dysentery

My school here in Kyiv arranges housing for the ex-pat teachers, which is typical of international schools. Departing teachers usually "will" their apartments to teachers who are staying. For example, next year Trevor is moving into Larissa's place, Heather is moving into Paul's place, and Patty is moving into Charaine's place.

This is the first year that Igor my landlord has rented to a teacher from the school. It's a good connection for a landlord---reliable income in U.S. dollars, tenants who (usually) don't trash the place, and you never have to find a tenant again; the school does it for you.

I've been very lucky this year both in my apartment and my landlord. Everyone has heard about Igor. My friend Victoria has been to my place several times and decided she'd like to move in after I leave.

This was good for everyone: me, because I could leave stuff behind that future generations of teachers could use; Igor, to have another reliable tenant; the school, to have Victoria's old apartment available for a new teacher; and Victoria, because Igor said he would raise the rent only $50/month. Also, she could move stuff into my place before she goes back to the U.S. for the summer.

So Victoria hauled suitcases and boxes to my apartment last Sunday. On Tuesday, Igor told the school that he was raising the rent by $600/month.

My wonderful landlord changed his stripes! I was so upset and disillusioned (when I called to protest, he told me "no signed contract! this is not illegal!") that even though I haven't been able to flush my toilet for a week (gotta pour buckets of H2O down it instead), I haven't called him to ask for repairs.

Not very smart considering that dysentery has been going around the school because a sewage pipe broke and leaked all over the carpet in the music room where little children were sitting. And I'm a delicate flower when it comes to raw sewage and digestive systems.

Infrastucture in this country is a weak point. "I have high-speed internet access but can't flush my toilet" I've been telling people.

Guess I'll have to call Igor. He did find another apartment for Victoria, at the original agreed-upon rent, and she says she likes it more than mine. Good.

No comments: