Sunday, March 4, 2007

Jokes in translation

I thought it would be interesting to have my grade 8 and 9 students translate jokes from their first languages into English. Would the humor come across? Well, no, partly because of their language skills, but also because humor is so culture-bound, especially puns.

One Russian-speaking kid translated a joke that requires you to understand that the Russian word for "woodpecker" is also the word for "snitch." (the joke was about a legendary Russian spy named Shtirliz who allegedly infiltrated the Nazi system in Germany during WWII.) Stepan couldn't explain the joke very well in English, although all of the local kids laughed their heads off.

A few days later, I was at a party with Ukrainian teachers. I asked about this spy, this joke, the pun on the Russian word for "woodpecker." They were happy to explain it to me.

The derivation of the pun is the knock on the door in the middle of the night, knocking like a woodpecker knocks against a tree, the knock that means there's a snitch, one of your neighbors or friends or family members has betrayed you and now the KGB is here to cart you off to the gulag. It was chilling.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

HI!
Off the subject...I don't know if you know Kit had surgery today. She did well. If you want to e-mail me I can keep you up to date. Also, I can send you the picture with your mom. myladedacom@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of guy who enjoys to taste hot things. Right now I'm manufacturing my personalized pv panels. I'm managing it all alone without the assistance of my men. I'm utilizing the internet as the only way to acheive this. I ran across a very brilliant website that explains how to make solar panels and wind generators. The site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure bout how correct the information given there is. If some guys over here who had xp with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it will be great and I'd really treasure it, cause I truly like [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com/useful-articles]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. U guys are great.