Sunday, January 7, 2007

Road trip to Berlin

Our Christmas break is a wonderful three weeks. I took the train to Berlin from Bohl-Iggleheim after spending Christmas and New Year's with Patty and her family. She and Kai met me there a couple of days later. We managed to see quite a bit of the city, thanks to a walking tour led by an extremely enthusiastic guide. It was supposed to be four hours long but turned into seven hours. Kai was impressed to stand on the ground above the site of Hitler's suicide--it's now a parking lot.

The next day we toured Hohenschonhausen, a Stasi prison for political dissidents or anyone suspected of being a political dissident or anyone who might have known someone who might be suspected of being a political dissident. "The centre of communist repression", as it's called. I never thought much about freedom of speech before coming to a place where it was unheard of. Our guide was the daughter of a former prisoner. She didn't tell this to the entire group, but Patty asked her how she happened to become a guide. Apparently all of the guides have a personal connection to the prison; some of the guides were prisoners themselves.

So the guides have inside information about various methods of torture---psychological, not physical. Psychological torture is easier and doesn't leave any outward marks. It was harrowing even to hear about it. Patty and I agreed that we'd be very easy to torture.

(Patty: "I'm cold!" Me: "I need privacy!" My friend Zig, when I told him about it: "This is the wrong kind of ice for my martini!")

Today is Orthodox Christmas. It's great to celebrate Christmas twice!

1 comment:

Debby K said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your 3 week break! We had a one break break and are now back to standardized testing!!! Sleep late for us!