Thursday, November 23, 2006

Ukrainian Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was an ordinary workday, although a couple of American parents brought in pumpkin pie and talked about "things to be thankful for" to the uncomprehending sons and daughters of local millionaires and rich ex-pats. "If you have food, shelter, and clean water, you have more than 75% of the rest of the world! If you have all that and a few kopeks in your pocket, you're in the top 8% of the world's population!"

Any local kid who goes to the school is from the stratosphere of the Ukrainian economy---the average income here is $4,000/year, while tuition is $15,000. I've never taught rich kids before, let alone rich kids who live in a poor country, and who are possibly the children of the Ukrainian "mafia" (as the gossip goes).

Very early I identified the phenomenon of the "evil local Dennis"---three of the Ukrainian/Russian kids in my ESL classes are behavior problems, and they're all named Dennis. The ESL classes are full of kids who speak Russian. Most of them want to learn English, but the Dennisses seem to know they're already set for life. Why bother learning English? So they spend all of their time trying to distract their classmates by talking Russian to them. I anticipated a lot of problems, but not this one!

3 comments:

Granddad Mann said...

Congratulations on becoming a blogger. It is very exciting and easier to track your adventures for yourself and friends. Did you see the notice I sent from the Department of Justice? They were looking for an attorney for a one-year detail to Kyiv with a specialty in corruption. So Thanksgiving came and went and flypaper is in use in October...Kit

Unknown said...

Love your blog! Indeed, I read those stats (food, shelter 75% etc.) on the website: "miniatureworld" Pretty amazing. This will be a Thanksgiving to remember! Are you going to Germany for Christmas? I chose to read your blog instead of WALKING to the cinema to watch the latest James Bond flick. Now I have to jump on my bike... But your blog is worth it. I'm trying to blog on my rainbowpreschool website. A bit intimidating.
Be well. Nicki

Linda said...

Pretty impressive! I guess setting up a blog should be a new FCPS standard for being able to teach.

I think I will still email you. As sis Carol says, "email is too impersonal..I want you to write longhand." I'm sure she would "blog in" with "this is much too out there!"
Linda